The Rhythmic Evolution: After-Race Concerts at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix09 Oct
Image Credit: yasmarinacircuit.com
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has become synonymous with speed, glamour, and nail-biting Formula One action. Over the years, this prestigious event has not only been a showcase of F1 season ending drama, but has also played host to some of the biggest names in the music industry. The famous after-race concerts have become an integral part of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix experience, attracting fans from around the globe. With the 10th Anniversary of our Harbour Club hospitality approaching, we thought we’d take the opportunity to look back on some of the best acts to perform since Harbour Club opened its doors in 2013.
Since 2013, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has witnessed a spectacular mix of musical acts in its after-race concerts, perfectly complementing the luxurious experience provided by Harbour Club’s VIP Grand Prix Hospitality. This decade-long journey has featured an array of top-tier performers that have left an indelible mark on this prestigious event. In this article, we'll delve into the history of after-race concerts from 2013 onwards, highlighting in our opinion the five most remarkable performances that have graced the Yasalam stage.
The top 5 performances at The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after-race concerts
- Jay-Z (2013): Following in the footsteps of his wife Beyoncé (who arguably set the standard in 2009) Jay-Z took centre stage at the Abu Dhabi GP in 2013. The hip-hop legend brought his signature style and swagger to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, delivering a performance that left the audience in awe. Even a technical issue, leading to a small break, didn’t take anything away from a memorable post-race evening.
- Pharrell Williams (2014): In 2014, the Abu Dhabi GP organisers brought in a musical maestro who needs no introduction: Pharrell Williams. The Grammy-winning artist and producer dazzled the audience with his infectious energy and chart-topping hits. Tracks like "Happy" and "Get Lucky" had the crowd dancing and singing along, creating an atmosphere of celebration at the traditional end of season finale.
- Calvin Harris (2017): In 2017, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix turned up the tempo with dance music sensation, Calvin Harris. The world-renowned DJ and producer brought his signature beats and infectious energy to the stage, transforming Yas Island into a pulsating dance floor.
- Post Malone (2018): The American rapper and singer Post Malone headlined at the 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Known for his genre-blending sound and charismatic stage presence, Post Malone delivered a performance that resonated with fans across the spectrum of music tastes. Hits like "Rockstar" and "Circles" showcased his versatility and left the audience wanting more.
- Kendrick Lamar (2022): After 2 years of Covid interruptions The 2022 Grand Prix was celebrated with a performance by one of the most influential voices in modern hip-hop, Kendrick Lamar. The Pulitzer Prize-winning artist brought his thought-provoking lyrics and high-octane stage presence to Yas Island and continued the trend of global superstars entertaining race fans at Abu Dhabi’s after-race concerts.
Where can you get Abu Dhabi Grand Prix concert passes?
Passes for the after-race concerts are available to every ticket holder, including guests of Harbour Club hospitality at the W Hotel. Guests will be given wristbands at the facility which will grant you access to the concert in that evening. It is approximately a 20 – 30 minute walk from Harbour Club, and there are shuttle buses available as well.
The after-race concerts at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix have become a testament to the event's commitment to providing a world-class entertainment experience. We’ve named our top 5 but there have been dozens of bands and solo artists – from Muse & Depeche Mode to Eminem & Lionel Richie – that we could have included!
As fans eagerly anticipate future editions of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, they can be assured that the tradition of hosting iconic after-race concerts will continue to be a highlight of this extraordinary event. In particular, the announcement of the legendary Foo Fighters headlining the 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after-race concert has generated immense excitement. With their high-energy rock anthems and electrifying stage presence, the Foo Fighters promise to deliver a performance that will undoubtedly be etched into the annals of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix's musical history.